Followers

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Week 2- "What action research is needed?"

This week I was able to read and watch interviews on what type of topics are appropriate for action research.  I had ideas on what i wanted to know more about, but this week helped narrow down my path.  I had a phone conference with my campus principal and discussed my topics for action research.  Since I will be choosing one topic for my action research project, the other two topics will be included in my internship plan.  The most important aspect of action research is ensuring that everything we do leads to student achievement.

1)    Tutorials/ Math pullouts- I will research different strategies for small group, pull out, and out side of class instruction.  We have tutorials before and after school.  It has become much of a wasted time between when students get breakfast and when school starts.  I think that by defining instruction to specific test topics and TEKS bases on student test scores the students and teachers and make this time much more productive. We will also create a math pullout program for specific TEKS that were missed last year. 
2)    Standardized dress code- I plan to research how the utilization of standardized dress affects our campus next year.  This will be our first year with a standardized dress code.  I think that by better understanding the students, parents, and staff we can improve the overall culture of our school. 
3)    Postering and utilizing visual aids in Math- I plan to research strategies to better utilize visual aids in our math department.  I feel that our campus must improve all senses of math delivery.  This can improve number fluency and create a safer feeling in our math classes.  

1 comment:

  1. I've kept up with the comments from the discussion board from your topic this week, and had not said anything, but now reading your blog post one thing stood out to me and is helpful to me. I was torn between implementation of technology and web2.0 tools vs evaluating effective instructional strategies. My compromise was that I would incorporate technology as a suggested instructional steategy because what better way can you get students engaged or make learning relevant. But you said the projects that are not action research will become part of your internship plan. I can make my "lunch bytes" meetings as an item on my plan! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete